I wonder if I have rediscovered an old problem, or is there really a
difficulty in flying an ILS approach where a runway has locators at each
end which share the same frequency?

Here is a test scenario, a 10 minute flight from my local airport,
Glasgow international(EGPF) to Edinburgh (EGPH). Set up your flight so:
fgfs --aircraft=c172p --airport=egpf --runway=05 --nav1=63:108.90
--nav2=100:115.40
You will need the UK scenery (w010n50) to duplicate this flight.

Fly outbound radial on nav2 (GOW), until you intercept the the EGPH
runway 06 ILS on nav1, about 10 nm south of the airport. Track the ILS
on nav1 down to the runway. Never mind the beautiful bridges to your
left; just keep those needles centred. I find that as I approach the
runway threshhold, my nav1 radio goes berserk. The autopilot doesn't
stand a chance. It will dump you on the ground somewhere between Dundee
and the Normandy beaches.

If I temporalily remove the southern locator from nav.dat.gz
(4  55.94144200 -003.39767200    110 10890  18     238.785 ITH  EGPH 24
ILS-cat-I), I can approach and fly right down the centre line.

My question for you avionics gurus is: How do real nav radios deal with
directional radio beams as the aircraft approaches (and more
importantly) passes the closest locator at such airports?