K. Hoercher wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 11:33:09PM +0000, Alasdair Campbell wrote:
>
>> I wonder if I have rediscovered an old problem, or is there really a
>> difficulty in flying an ILS approach where a runway has locators at each
>> end which share the same frequency?
>>

> I'm quite sure (alas unable to provide reference) that at any given
> time only the one servicing the active runway really transmits. If so
> that isn't modeled in fg. A quick search for "EGLL loc 'same frequency'"
> found some workaround being discussed on the fg mailing list.

At least in the US, all the ILS transmit all the time except for
maintenance interruptions.  If an ILS is not transmitting, it will be
indicated in a NOTAM.  Many times you will hear AC doing a "low approach
only" practice ILS for a reciprocal runway to the active runway.

By the way, I experienced both ILS on the same frequency coming into
Evansville, IN, Evansville Regional (KEVV), RW 22 and RW 4.  Also, same
experience flying into Fayetteville, AR, Northwet Arkansas Regional
(KXNA) RW16 and RW 34.    The ILS needles appear to make no sense until
shortly before becoming established on the approach.

Regards,
Dave Perry