Fabien Costantini wrote:
>> I find it just too satisfying to build FLTK on Windows using
>> Microsoft's own compiler *without* the IDE.

> My 2 cents comments on that:
> Did you notice how many files are needed to be _added_ to the distrib

        A lot less files than the number of project files needed
        to build in the IDE, I can tell you that ;)

        For dev purposes, I put gmake.bat in each dir so I could
        type 'gmake' in each dir to test them separately.

        Could be avoided if one is mostly running 'gmake' at
        the top level dir.

        Also, during development, I've been putting separate
        gmake-vcnet-include files in each dir (which defines the
        CXX/CXXFLAGS values) just in case the flags are different
        for each dir (ie. jpeg flags slightly different than png
        or fltk src flags)

        So far the flags seem similar, so they could probably
        be a single file the others source from.

        I'm not optimizing yet though, until I get the big picture.

> and in subdirs of the distrib, we already have unix makefiles,
> watcom makefiles and now it would add these ones ?
> I would like to avoid if possible to add more makefiles to the
> fltk distrib as much as possible.

        I'd agree.

        But the files could live in the build directory, and could get
        pulled out only if someone runs gmake in the top level dir
        for the first time, so that the files aren't put into the dirs
        until needed.

        But there is no comparison to the number of files needed for
        the IDE.

> I guess it would add more trouble if we try to achieve a complete impl.
> (debug, dll, win64?)

        I think these can be config flags.
        In one of my earlier posts I was suggesting:

                gmake configure

        ..which could have text prompts for debug/release, verbose/silent,
        static/dll, eg:

---- snip
C:\fltk> gmake configure
        *** LIBRARY RELEASE OPTIONS ***

            R)elease
            D)ebug

        Which? [R] r

        *** BUILD VERBOSITY ***

            V)erbose
            S)ilent

        Which? [S]: s

--- OK, you can now run 'gmake clean && gmake' to rebuild the library.

C:\fltk> gmake
Compiling Fl_win.cxx...
Compiling Fl_Adjuster.cxx...
..
---- snip

        ..and this could also be CLI oriented, eg:

gmake configure RELEASE=DEBUG VERBOSE=SILENT

        I think most people using the ide only every change the debug/release
        mode. Is there actually an easy way to change anything else..?

> Still, I would dream to have such a feature if it could merge
> _economically_ in a way to the existing Makefiles (at least partially
> and especially the ones listing the files to be compiled) that we
> already use for *nix platforms with autoconf/configure/make tools.

        It could be done where they're merged.

        But I think initially, until we identify all the things different,
        it would be better to keep them separate.

        Certainly I could see the huge lists of .obj vs. .o files to be
        in a single separate file that gets converted during the initial
        config stage, then include'ed by the makefile.