>       I tried the following FLTK code with the above X11 only code
>       and it seemed to work more reliably.

Not so much for me - though that may be an issue with the VM rather than a
"real" problem.

I find that, with this code, if I toggle Caps Lock on/off a few times, I can
easily get to a state where the test code is resolutely reporting Caps Lock
OFF, but the keybd LED is ON.

Hitting any key (focus to any window) then seems to fix it up...

Also, I tweaked the Tiiner_CB to show what fltk's event_state shows for
FL_CAPS_LOCK, and it is not always (at least for me) the same as the X11
XkbGetIndicatorState seems to be showing...

Which seems... odd...

Selex ES Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132