I understand `awe inspiring` to be subjective - hence, subject to changes
in the observer, such as ephemeral mood or loss of a sensory organ. You
seem to treat it as a heuristic or statistical property - i.e. it's awe
inspiring because people have felt awe in the past and you expect people to
feel awe in the future.

I suppose I can understand either position.

But it's silly to say that awe inspiring is just a property of the object -
i.e. you say "without something being awe-inspiring, there's no possibility
for awe to be inspired when the conditions are right." That's just too
egocentric. People find all sorts of funny things awe-inspiring. Like
football. Or grocery bags in the wind. (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKg6OJ6zhhc)

Regards,

Dave