On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM, karl ramberg <karlramb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My point here  was not to argue about a specific artist or genere but that
> the domain of art is very different from that of engineer. What makes some
> music lifeless and some the most awe-inspiring you heard in your whole life
> ?

What makes some engineering `elegant` and some (http://thedailywtf.com) the
ugliest you heard of in your whole life? I don't believe the distinction is
as clear as you assume it to be.

I do acknowledge there is a certain `staging` involved - i.e. we can
distinguish the beauty of the tools and materials from the beauty we can
readily create with them. Hint: languages are more analogous to materials
than tools (
http://schneide.wordpress.com/2009/12/21/the-fallacy-of-the-right-tool/)

I've long been interested in creating a `storyteller` system - a tool that
can take sketches of a story and plot as constraints and help fill the gaps
and dialog with interesting subplots and appropriate foreshadowing, and
help find plotholes or inconsistencies or potential traps (i.e. painting
yourself into a corner) before it happens. Potential uses of such systems
are game creation, especially for live gaming where we want player actions
to influence the story - i.e. a new generation of rich interactive MMORPGs.

It's interesting to note that the same essential problems apply to creating
a good IDE for software development... it's just easier to recognize `holes
or inconsistencies` in code than it is in a story plot.

Regards,

Dave