I would note my topic line is `inspired 3D worlds`, not `inspiring 3D
worlds`. There is a rather vast difference in meaning. ;)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Julian Leviston <jul...@leviston.net>wrote:

> you may find on closer inspection that there can be things that are
> intrinsically beautiful, or intrinsically awe-inspiring to humanity as a
> whole.

Even an anthropocentric statistical metric will be subject to cultural
influence. I do grant that humans are likely to find `great heights` and
`big explosions` and `loud music` and other such things awe-inspiring on a
very primitive level, but I imagine that cultural exposure to them would
suppress the feeling in a statistically measurable way.

> it nonetheless matters in a general sense to aspire to such a high
> standard of quality in everything

Do keep in mind the fallacy of the beard. There is a significant
relationship between quantity and quality, even if it isn't an obvious one.
There are also relationships between costs and quality - e.g. flat
pay-per-text can completely undermine various story or data distribution
models.

Given limited resources and limited control over our environment, it does
not always make sense to aspire to high standards of quality.

> Also, a question that springs to mind is... do you find any of the
> popularly "impressive" movies or graphics of the current day awe-inspiring?

Sure. Over at http://hof.povray.org/

I find them quite cool... impressive in a technical sense, but not in a
> long-lasting impacting sense...

I do not believe awe-inspiring connotes long-lasting. Ever seen an
awe-inspiring thermite fire? judo throw? belch? live theatrical play?

Regards,

Dave