Some of what's described below has been done by Robert Fripp, sometimes in
collaboration with Brian Eno, for years. The tech has changed over time. It
started off tape based but he's moved on to digital delays and various effects
for the filtering (mostly structural using BGB's definition from below).

Zoe Keating is currently doing cool and interesting work with layered cello
compositions and performances. She uses Ableton Live with a plugin called
SooperLooper.

http://www.dgmlive.com/rf/

http://zoekeating.com/