"the reason one is doing something" is a noun-group that describes a noun.

"reasoning of the human mind as a process" is ALSO a noun-group that describes
a noun.

Functional-grammarly speaking, that is. ;-)

Even so, even in a traditional grammatical sense, "reasoning" and "a reason"
are both nouns.

Julian