John Carlson wrote:

The way I read rest over http post (wikipedia) is that you either create a new entry in a collection uri, or you create a new entry in the element uri, which becomes a collection. So one still needs a way to add several entries to a collection, or one needs something like couchdb. I read in rfc2616 quoted on stackoverflow that clients should not pipeline non-idempotent methods or non-idempotent sequences of methods. So basically that tosses pipelining of posts. Face it, REST over HTTP is slow when backed by a large relational database (I'm not exactly sure how large, but considering where it's at it could get quite large). If you want the particulars, please contact Duncan Scott at JGI he is the one who did the benchmarking. He also thought it would be good to use CouchDB as a possible replacement. Instead of using couchdb, we started down the path of writing our own collection submittal services.

I can't say anything about REST in general being slow. I would like to see better support for adding multiple objects to a collection in HTTP REST, perhap by using MIME.

So you're saying that somebody, did some kind of benchmark, between 2 different, and undefined interfaces to a "large relational database," and based on that you're making a global statement that "REST over HTTP is slow when backed by a large relational database" - and that if we disagree with this global assertion, we should take it up with that other guy.

Really?