On Feb 15, 2013, at 12:10 AM, John Carlson <yottz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't say anything about REST in general being slow.  I would like to see
> better support for adding multiple objects to a collection in HTTP REST,
> perhap by using MIME.

REST is not a highly efficient protocol by any means but most of the slowness
people attribute to REST has more to do with what people transport inside a
REST operation than REST itself. REST is often below the performance noise
floor if it is well-used despite its inefficiencies.

REST is commonly used to transport XML or JSON or similar. Parsing JSON or XML
encoding structures is quite slow because they are intrinsically inefficient as
wire encoding formats. Compared to common efficient encodings, the difference
in cost exceeds an order of magnitude in practice. For example, I currently
have a system that parses, processes, and indexes complex geodetic polygons at
sustained rates of many gigabytes per second (for real-time petabyte-scale
sensing models of the Earth). The largest total consumer of CPU time by far is
not computational geometry, network processing, or anything like that but
parsing JSON source formats -- and we've invested a lot of time in highly
optimizing JSON parsing. The internal binary format used by the same system
disappears below the noise floor.

As a practical matter, most people that use REST use JSON or XML and most
people that don't use JSON and XML also don't use REST for related reasons. But
it is not fair to blame REST for what is primarily an issue with JSON and XML
even though they are often seen together. REST is not efficient but it usually
pretty low on the long list of things that are slowing down an application.