On Feb 15, 2013, at 1:31 AM, Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net> wrote:
>> As a practical matter, most people that use REST use JSON or XML and most
>> people that don't use JSON and XML also don't use REST for related reasons.
>> But it is not fair to blame REST for what is primarily an issue with JSON
>> and XML even though they are often seen together. REST is not efficient but
>> it usually pretty low on the long list of things that are slowing down an
>> application.
>>

> I'm not sure I completely agree with you here.  There are an awful lot of
> RESTful interfaces to things like imagery and map databases. What makes them
> restful is how data is addressed (by URL), and the use of HTTP operations to
> GET/PUT/DELETE data, but the actual data formats are content specific (audio
> formats, video formats, shape files, etc.)

Sure, I did not mean to imply that REST is all JSON/XML content, just that in
practice the majority of it tends to be and that much of the "slowness" people
associate with REST architectures can be laid at the feet of parsing JSON/XML
content rather than REST. I've certainly built REST architectures that heaved
vast quantities of binary imagery over the 'net.