It's worth noting that this was the scheme at PARC and was used heavily later
in Etoys.

This is why Smalltalk has unlimited numbers of "Projects". Each one is a
persistant environment that serves both as a place to make things and as a
"page" of "desktop media".

There are no apps, only objects and any and all objects can be brought to any
project which will preserve them over time. This avoids the stovepiping of
apps. Dan Ingalls (in Fabrik) showed one UI and scheme to integrate the
objects, and George Bosworth's PARTS system showed a similar but slightly
different way.

Also there is no "presentation app" in Etoys, just an object that allows
projects to be put in any order -- and there can many many such orderings all
preserved -- and there is an object that will move from one project to the next
as you give your talk. "Builds" etc are all done via Etoy scripts.

This allows the full power of the system to be used for everything, including
presentations. You can imagine how appalled we were by the appearance of
Persuade and PowerPoint, etc.

Etc.

We thought we'd done away with both "operating systems" and with "apps" but
we'd used the wrong wood in our stakes -- the vampires came back in the 80s.

One of the interesting misunderstandings was that Apple and then MS didn't
really understand the universal viewing mechanism (MVC) so they thought views
with borders around them were "windows" and view without borders were part of
"desktop publishing", but in fact all were the same. The Xerox Star confounded
the problem by reverting to a single desktop and apps and missed the real media
possibilities.

They divided a unified media world into two regimes, neither of which are very
good for end-users.

Cheers,

Alan