On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

Marco van de Voort wrote:

Depacking a html zip on a slow machine takes over tens of minutes already.
7zip would make it worse.

Hey, it's quicker than compiling FPC. ;-)

The whole idea is to get rid of the depacked files all together, and a solid
archive is useless as help format.

True, but I thought I would mention that I used solid archive mode (optional of course) simply so that it could be compared to .tar.gz which is also a solid archive.

Maybe. Just provide a FPC implementation of the depacker for use in the
various installers, and we can test with it.

I remember looking into this about a year ago. I used Total Commander with the 7-zip plugin, which is written in Delphi. And yes, it's a native pascal implementation, not a wrapper to the 7-zip .dll's.

I'll see if I can track down the code and see what open source license was used.

How you don't get depressed of seeing your TODO list grow by the day is a mystery to me. :(

My current theory is that you rely on the many-worlds interpretation of
quantum physics: in each world one of your copies does 1 thing on the
TODO list. Only problem is: the many worlds don't converge so the list
as a whole is never solved in 1 world :(