Marco van de Voort wrote:

> I already switched to 16-bit (33FJA128MC510 and -804) long ago, and am very
> happy with them.

Same here (with PIC 24xx). A friend of mine uses the 33s very happily, too.

> But I still use the PIC18F60j60 part since there is no
> 16-bit integrated ethernet part, and as spare replacement for legacy parts.

This fried uses the (quite new) Microchip Ethernet MAC/PHY chip
(including frame buffers, doing 100MBit) that can be connected to the
PIC as an SPI slave (just three or four wires). Microsoft provides
appropriate software for this setup. He's going to give me one of his
board very soon. I'm looking forward to playing with that.

> The PIC32 look interesting, but there is no motorcontrol (quadrature
> decoder) in that family yet, something that I require.

What about using a slave-PIC coupled by SPI (this is what my friend does
all the time).

As the PIC32 is a MIPS architecture, it could benefit from the MIPS port
of FPC that quite recently was discussed here.

As you are considering PIC32 the MIPS FPC might have a better chance to
come into existence now ???? I would be inclined to help on this issue,
as I am intending to use NIOS which is very similar architecture to
MIPS. :)

-Michael