Marco van de Voort wrote:
Yes, but from what I remember it was canceled because the amount of
periphery on the chip is poor. I also looked at ARM, but while there is more
choice there, it is fragmented over multiple vendors, with multiple
toolchains (if a free one exists at all)
What was canceled? The AVR devices is certainly not and neither are the GCC toolchains (one for 8b and one for 32b).
PIC32 is only interesting because it is slightly faster and has more mem.
But that would be more a future proofing thing, since we don't really lack
it atm.
I don't want to start a AVR/PIC fight because it always ends up in a religous war and this is the wrong list anyway. However, some of my reasons for moving from PIC to AVR are:
- AVR is faster,
- has usually more memory, which programs faster
- has higher code density,
- has cheaper tools (programmers etc)
- has free toolchains for all devices

The down side is that Microchip has never to my knowledge obsoleted a device, whereas Atmel quite often do obsolete parts which then requires recompiling the program for the replacement part.

But motorcontrol parts (integrated quadrature encoder, preferably
several) is absolutely mandatory.
I have never used motor control but there are parts intended for this