[moved to fpc-other, from fpc-users mailing list]

On 2016-11-22 13:47, Reimar Grabowski wrote:
>> hahaha... I love how a con is “fundamentally different concept”.
>> How is that a con?
>
> Fundamentally different to the way current IDEs/editors process their
> text -> too much work for a feature no one gives a flying f**k
> about. Got it?

Yet probably the two most popular IDE's in the world (Eclipse and MS
Visual Studio) both support Elastic Tabstop. :-/ And that's just two
IDE's I know of.  Some text editors (stand-alone or built into an IDE)
have more advanced functionality than most people realise (or more
features than what Lazarus's TSynEdit supports), but never realised the
potential of taking advantage of those features - or thinking outside
the box.

Think about Syntax Highlighting. For decades everybody coded in plain
2-tone text, and everybody accepted it as the norm. Then somebody
thought outside the box and implemented syntax highlighting to make it
easier on the developer. Yet, Syntax Highlighting doesn't add any extra
functionality to your code or the compiler - but does require a
"fundamentally different concept and implementation". Now every text
editor on the planet supports syntax highlighting and accepts that as
the norm.

The Elastic Tabstops implementation is actually pretty simple - way
under a 100 lines of code. All that ET needs from a text editor is that
they support multiple tabstop per line and where each tabstop can have a
different width. Optionally (but preferred), also where tabstops are
defined in pixels not x number of spaces (but this is not a requirement).

ps:
  Apparently, according to Martin Friebe, implementing ET support in
  Lazarus is really simple. Bar the fact that it will use x number of
  spaces as indentation, not pixels. But I don't know enough of
  Lazarus's source editor and TSynEdit integration to know where to
  implement a TSynEdit line filter.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/