While installing FPC on a new platform, and looking for the appropriate seed compiler, a question came to my mind.

As compiling FPC from sources requires a previous FPC version, how was compiled the very first version of FPC?

I have a found a number of possible answers, but which one is the good one?

1) FPC has always existed, it was just created at the Big Bang, at the same time as the hydrogen atoms.

2) A minimal version of FPC was written in assembler.

3) A minimal version of FPC was written in ALGOL

4) The first FPC was written in Pascal and compiled using Turbo Pascal or something similar.

I'm fond of answer 1) :-) but I'm unsure...

Giuliano