In our previous episode, Rainer Stratmann said:
> > You already have a very good grasp of the issues involved as you were
> > writing your own solution. You could probably improve dxgettext with
> > some things and get that in the main development tree, thereby improving
> > things for others.
>
> As I read now here
> http://dxgettext.po.dk/
> gettext seems already to be a (very) good solution. I am wondering why there
> are some problems with as I read somewhere in this thread.

Limitations, not problems. Compared to the Delphi internal translation
systems. Yours has the same, by design.

Note that I think dxgettext is a netto plus compared to ITE.

If your source (main) language has a word with two meanings, how will you
translate to a language where there is a word for each meaning?

IIRC dxgettext has only solutions for that when you recognize this early
and add special code. This means that sometimes you can't simply ship a
translation, but also have to

(dx)gettext also has support for stuff like multiples, textdomains. Some of
it is not very well supported in the editor (gorm) though.

> For me it would be interesting to know how dxgettext gets the snippet
> information from the program code...!

It comes with source scanner tools to harvest strings from the code.

The source for this + the editor are available. Most will readily work with
FPC/Lazarus, except maybe unicode issues.

What's your unicode philosophy btw?