> Most likely, the protocol is different than vfs101/201.
> Maybe, it has different registers? maybe takes different values for dev
> init?
> who knows?
>
> So, just adding the dev ids in vfs101.c won't help.

Even though Validity is saying it should work.

> We'll need to understand the protocol from usb-sniff logs.

That's a Windows/DOS  application. Sadly, I have wiped Windows from the
machine, save for the disaster recovery partition. Has anyone ever run
these from WINE?

> It's a daunting task, to be honest. VFS101 was made possible due to
> Ray Lehtiniemi's efforts to reverse-engineer the protocol from sniff logs.
Do those sniff logs still exist? I can try running usb sniffers in WINE
and with that info try to figure out the differences.

> That is because you _explicitly_ added the devid in the driver - so, while
> scanning the devices, libfprint sees that vfs101 driver *claims* to
> support
> the device that it found using usb ids.

So, the statement that it has "opened" the device without error is
completely bogus? I would have thought there was at least some wake up
code happening there. I expected the first message that it found a
"supported device". I did not expect the "I have successfully opened the
device". message. At least not without a handshake.
It's a pointless message then.

> cpp-test is a simple C++ program that just tries to link to the
> fprint library - to make sure that we can still call the libfprint
> functions from C++ code.
I suspected as much, just a stub program of a few lines.

> But, it needs a lot of patience - which, I hope, we'll have ;)
Patience is sometimes called a virtue, but I've never waited long enough
to find out if it's true. However, I've found stubbornness and unrelenting
determination are generally much more effective over mere patience.

However, I have a company to run, and after our holiday in Europe, I
discover our funds are lower than normal so I have to actually work for a
while.

The good news is, I own (most of) the company so have no issues concerning
any software I might write, and am free to code to any OSS license. I own
all the code I write.

Brian