Well it seems Mepis' default kernel is broken. So I'm going to have to
rebuild the kernel with some features they shut off. I have a Phenom core
(running   32 bit, for a single application required for business, grrr).
Would it be best for me to build to a 686 (the default) processor family?
In case I produce anything useful.

Brian