Not related to your tiresome problem, which I wish I could help with, but
perhaps an amusing anecdote...

When I worked as a system manager in the early 1980s, I introduced the
then-revolutionary idea of word processing for report writing to our
department, in this case on a Helwett Packard 100 Series minicomputer that had
previously only been thought suitable for instrumentation control and data
analysis.

The idea proved a great time-saver, even though documents were output via an
incredibly noisy daisywheel printer that was unfortunately in the same room as
me. However, anyone using the software had the ability to add unrecognised
words to the global dictionary. As we used a lot of technical terms, this was
vital.

Our secretary, who did most of the report entry, was a comely girl of broad
South Gloucestershire stock with what's best described as a 'creative' approach
to English spelling. I soon realised that one of my routine end-of-week
maintenance tasks was to diff that's week's global dictionary with my master
copy and weed out or correct all the horrors.

It took quite a lot of my time.

--
Steve