This may be the only "official" way to sign in, but it's not the only option.
MyGovID just does TOTP with SHA512, so assuming you have a TOTP app that
doesn't just do SHA1 (I use FreeOTP+, but there are plenty of other options),
you can use the tool that this clever human wrote, that basically pretends to
be the MyGovID app for the purposes of set-up, and gives you a regular QR-code
to feed to your TOTP app: https://github.com/abrasive/mygov-totp-enroll

--
Regards,
Matt Cengia (he/him/his)