[Apologies for the cross-post if you're also on the linux-aus mailing list.]

Just a quick update - I had a lovely call from a person at ATO
responding to my complaint. A couple of things they mentioned:

 - ATO is the first agency to use MyGovID

 - they have a feedback form on https://www.mygovid.gov.au <- USE IT

 - they have received quite a bit of feedback similar to mine

 - there was some form of hard deadline in place around their previous
authentication set up around 10 years ago - sounded like a contract
expiry but I didn't get specifics - may have been just related to AusKey

 - they really didn't know how the transition was going to go - now they
have learned, surprise surprise, for example a bunch of tax accountants
who don't have smartphones - much respect to those accountants!

 - currently the Digital Identity team is only speaking with people who
are having technical difficulties with the app, not people who want to
participate in the upstream process

All in all, they were very empathetic about the ethical issues of
requiring Apple or Google accounts and trust in proprietary tech. If you
can spare a few minutes, this is an important time to be heard and they
are certainly listening.

Regards,
Ben