On Wednesday, 28 February 2024 20:18:24 AEDT John wrote:
> > What's your Matrix address?  I can invite you to the Flounder room.
>
> @johna--

That's not a complete address.

> > > There's multiple issues I've found with my ppp so far.  I don't know
> > > whether they're to do with the Kali install, the underlying kernel, or
> >
> > I'm using Debian/Unstable which seems reasonably good.
>
> OK, I'll look into it. Maybe I can update some packages without doing a
> complete re-install, as kali pinephone is built on debian. There's
> dependencies, but we'll see.

That might work.

> > > Another is that the microphone does not seem to work at the start of a
> > > voice call. You can fix this by cycling the speakerphone setting, but I
> > > don't know why this fixes the issue.
> >
> > Sounds like a big worth reporting to the distribution.  But is using such
> > device as an actual phone something that the Kali people really care
> > about?
>
> OK, fair point. I'm puzzling over what package would be responsible for
> this. Can you see this problem?

I'll try it when I get my spare SIM back.

> > Sounds like you are doing some good work on this.  It might be better for
> > you to use Debian/Unstable, file bugs against Debian, and get write
> > access to the Debian wiki to document things.
>
> I'll look into it, but too many times in the past I've "jumped ship" only to
> find the original problems were still there. I'd be more confident if I
> could see how things are different in the change logs, and suggestive of a
> fix.

Kali is based on Debian/Testing so Debian will work in a very similar way to
Kali.  The reason for changing is not to get bugs fixed but to be able to
report bugs to someone who cares about it.

> > It's been reported that Wifi 2.4GHz and Bluetooth conflict.  Which is
> > particularly annoying given the battery life issues and the fact that 5GHz
> > Wifi apparently uses more power.
>
> I've not seen such a conflict, just that the drivers don't work without
> making "manual" pulseaudio routes.

It's not a conflict when loading drivers, it's a conflict in use.  The symptom
I noticed was that sound from Bluetooth speakers was dropping out when Wifi
was in use.

> > I preer KDE Mobile but Phosh seems preferred by Purism and Pine64
> > employees.
> The apps responsible are calls and chatty, which are called by phosh IIUC.
> Does KDE use different apps for phonecalls and text?

I think it's the same apps for that.