On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 01:49:04PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Scott Long wrote:
> >Dmitriy Kirhlarov wrote:
> >
> >>Hi!

> >>Sorry, guys. You are mean RELENG_6_1 or RELENG_6?
> >>
> >>WBR
> >
> >RELENG_6.  However, the changes will likely make their way into
> >RELENG_6_1 in a few weeks as part of an errata update.
> >
> >Scott
>
> I have just done tests on 6.1-R and RELENG_6 as of yesterday evening.
> Unfortunately both still lock up hard, no crash, just a frozen system. I
> cant enter the KDB (ddb) via the console, but its unusable, as it wont
> let me type in anything. There must be some other change in -CURRENT
> that fixes this, as -CURRENT did not freeze during my previous tests.
>

> Just to confirm, here is the ID of ufs_quota.c on my RELENG_6 system:
>
> /usr/src/sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_quota.c:
>     $FreeBSD: src/sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_quota.c,v 1.74.2.4 2006/05/14
> 00:23:27 tegge Exp $
The hangs are mostly related to snapshots. It would be better to
update to the latest RELENG_6.

Hangs on RELENG_6_1 is not so much interesting. For
hanged RELENG_6 system, please do what described below and post
the log of the ddb session.

I'm not sure whether kbdmux was MFCed into RELENG_6 (AFAIR, yes).
If you have it in your kernel, add the line
hint.kbdmux.0.disabled="1"
into the /boot/device.hints to make ddb usable.

After that, on the hang, enter ddb, and
do ps and tr <pid> for all suspected processes.
Better yet, add the following options to your kernel:

options         INVARIANTS
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options         WITNESS
options         DEBUG_LOCKS
options         DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS
options         DIAGNOSTIC

and, after hang, do in ddb

show allpcpu
show alllocks
show lockedvnods
ps

For each process mentioned in show output, do where <pid>
(for threaded processes, do thread <thread-id>; where).

BTW, it would be great to add this instructions to the FAQ.