On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Fabian Keil wrote:

I'm very interested in tracking down this problem, but have had a lot of trouble getting reliable reports of problems -- i.e., ones where I could get any debugging information. I had a similar conversation on these lines yeterday with Roger (Tor author) here at the WEIS conference. If this is easily reproduceable, I would like you to do the following:

- Does the hang occur? If so, use a serial break to get into DDB, see the above.

I previously had the serial console misconfigured and I'm still not sure if the settings are correct now.

So far I put "BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=57600" in /etc/make.conf, "options CONSPEED=57600" in the kernel and "console=comconsole" in /boot/loader.conf. Kernel and bootblock were recompiled and reinstalled. /boot.config contains the line: "-D -h -S57600" (speed setting through make.conf didn't work).

I don't use alternative console speeds, so can't comment on the specifics of the above, but the output below looks right.

The boot process now starts with:

PXELINUX 3.11 2005-09-02  Copyright (C) 1994-2005 H. Peter Anvin
Booting from local disk...

1   Linux
2   FreeBSD
3   FreeBSD

Default: 2

/boot.config: -DConsoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS 639kB/523200kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
[...]

After manually triggering a test panic through debug.kdb.enter I could enter ddb and everything seemed to be working.

However today I got another hang and couldn't enter the debugger by sending BREAK. It is the same BREAK ssh sends with ~B, right?

Even after rebooting, sending break didn't trigger a panic, so either I'm sending the wrong BREAK, or my console settings are still messed up. Any ideas?

What serial software are you using to reach the console? Do you have options BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER compiled into your kernel? The delivery mechanism for the break will depend on the software you're using...

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge