On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Fabian Keil wrote:

Robert Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Fabian Keil wrote:

After manually triggering a test panic through debug.kdb.enter I
could enter ddb and everything seemed to be working.

However today I got another hang and couldn't enter the debugger by
sending BREAK. It is the same BREAK ssh sends with ~B, right?

Even after rebooting, sending break didn't trigger a panic, so
either I'm sending the wrong BREAK, or my console settings are
still messed up. Any ideas?

What serial software are you using to reach the console?

I use ssh to log in to a console server, hit enter and am connected to the console. I have no idea what kind of software is used between console server and console.

You probably need to find out in order to find out what break sequence to send. Alternatively, you can use ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER, which defines an alternative break sequence without relying on a serial break (which is an out-of-band break signal).

The delivery mechanism for the break will depend on the software you're using...

The ssh man page offers:

|~B      Send a BREAK to the remote system (only useful for SSH protocol
|        version 2 and if the peer supports it).

I am using ssh 2, but the only reaction I get is a new line.

|FreeBSD/i386 (tor.fabiankeil.de) (ttyd0)
|
|login: ~B

It sounds like your serial console server may not know how to map SSH break signals into remote serial break signals. Try ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER. Here's the description from NOTES:

# Solaris implements a new BREAK which is initiated by a character
# sequence CR ~ ^b which is similar to a familiar pattern used on
# Sun servers by the Remote Console.
options         ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory