Hallo beste vriend, (a phrase I'd seen in my Spam folder once before,
funnily enough)

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 1:13 AM, M Vrm <netraa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Op 1 sep. 2015 02:47 schreef "Rugxulo" <rugx...@gmail.com>:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:53 AM, M Vrm <netraa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > After that (now) I booted it up.
>> > And I get the answer:
>> >
>> > "KERNEL.SYS KERNEL.SYS KERNEL.SYS KERNEL.SYS"
>> >
>> > It goes on with that until it filled the screen and then it goes further
>> > with doing that.
>> > After reboot not fine.
>>
>> If it's not okay after reboot, that means something was corrupted. You
>> should probably run DOSFSCK and/or replace your system files (esp.
>> kernel and shell), and see if that helps.
>
> The last one. :)
> I think that it didn't find kernel.sys because I'm not very cautious with
> that thing and then I mean with software. He's old, and not old enough that
> I am cautious enough. So it's my test machine. And the errors are very
> funny.  (The "flashing machine" was very very funny. )

It's not hard to reinstall, but repairing it without reinstalling /
wiping everything is much more tedious. It's probably not as simple as
just "run SYS again".

>> http://freedos.sourceforge.net/software/?prog=dosfsck
>>
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/chkdsk/dosfsck/
>
> Thanks.
> But i had a zip file named "ke174-" the "-" means that it is more but I
> don't know what.  It didn't work. (Maybe you can something with that)
> But anyway thanks for the link.

Perhaps ke2041-*? I don't know what else would apply here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freedos/files/Kernel/2041/

>> > Now the laptop stands in a cupboard   (I mean something else but I don't
>> > know how it is named. I also can't find it and I'm on my mobile and I
>> > can't
>> > look it up.  So if you want to know what I really mean translate (Dutch
>> > English) "kast". Sorry for that)
>>
>> Presumably "chest" or "drawer". (Google Translate isn't much help.) Or
>> did you mean a room like "closet"?
>
> "Chest" = "kist" looks like it but it isn't the same.
> Maybe the "drawer" is the good one.
> Sorry for my English.

(Where's Bernd or even Eric when you need 'em??) I'm no linguist, and
certainly I don't know any Dutch (besides Van Halen). For a Germanic
language that is so close to English, you'd think we'd have less
trouble. But try reading the original Beowulf (Old English), and tell
me how comprehensible it is. Even Shakespeare is tough. So it's not
just you.  :-P

>> I hope it didn't have any crucial files (that aren't backed up).
>
> What do you mean?

I just meant that it would be easier (nicer) for you to not have to
worry about backing up any (potentially corrupted) files from that
machine, e.g. before reinstalling (or whatever you want to do with it
further, if anything). That's the hard part, determining what to do
(acceptable risk). Wiping everything and reinstalling from scratch is
easy.

>> A reinstall is easy, though. Do you have working CD or floppy drives?
>
> I have on my laptop a working cd drive (that's how I installed it) but on
> the desktop pc I have a floppy drive. But we had it about the laptop :).

I was just curious what methods (media) you have available for repair
or reinstall. BTW, you mentioned USB, do you think you could boot
[read-only] from USB? (Obviously not without help, presumably PLoP
Boot Manager: http://www.plop.at/ ).