Hello Juan,

> On Oct 22, 2016, at 7:55 AM, Juan Manuel Guerrero <juan.guerr...@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> OFYI: I have tried to format a floppy image with a VMware Player 5.0.2 using
> FreeDOS 1.2-pre23 and I have observed the same issue as described for
> VirtualBox.

The FreeDOS 1.2 preview releases are built under FreeDOS 1.2 build environment
(BE),
The BE is running under VirtualBox and contains 2 floppy drive images and 3
hard disk
drive images. The USB and CD releases of 1.2 contain a utility FDIDEV.BAT that
will convert a (virtual) machine into a FreeDOS BE. Each preview release is
built
automatically using the mkFDI.bat utility that is installed and part of the BE.
During the
build process performed by mkFDI, this utility reformats both Floppy images and
two
of the hard disk images. It does this to zero out unused portions for better
disk
image compression at release time. I have seen no issues formatting any of these
images from FreeDOS inside VirtualBox. Earlier builds (like preview 10 and
earlier)
were running inside VMware Fusion. But, VirtualBox performed the build many
times
faster. I saw no issues under VMware Fusion either.

Now, just as a quick verification, I duplicated a 1.44 floppy image and booted
a test
install of Preview 23 inside VirtualBox 5.0.28. Format reported no problems with
any of the various methods I used to reformat that floppy image.

Other than the errors you are getting towards the end. I see only line that
differs
in my debug log.

[DEBUG]  Sector buffer at 0E17:6770, track buffer at 0E17:6B70

This is probably just due to the difference in the virtual machine BIOS. Or,
possibly the booted configuration.

> [..]
> [DEBUG]  Sector buffer at 1A3F:6770, track buffer at 1A3F:6B70
> [..]
> [DEBUG]  FAT Sectors: 1 to 18 ->
>   0% +**Drive_IO(WRITE 1, count 1 ) [FAT12/16] [drive A*]
>
>  Critical error during DOS disk access
>  DOS driver error (hex): 01
>  Program terminated.
> [DEBUG]  DOS 7+, UNLOCKing drive (by one level)
> [DEBUG]  DOS 7+, UNLOCKing drive (by one level)

Just as verification, I have a couple simple questions that you have probably
already checked.

What host OS are you using?

If you booted the CD under VMware and installed FreeDOS, are you still booting
the
El Torito CD?

Are you running the latest Version of VirtualBox (5.0.28)?

Have you made major changes from the default VirtualBox settings?

Have you modified the boot configuration of FreeDOS and is something
conflicting?

Are you sure the actual floppy image is a valid size, exists and is writable by
the host OS?
(maybe download the FD12FLOPPY.zip and try formatting it’s image)

Jerome