On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Arkady V.Belousov wrote:

Hello,

config.c
- config now parsed in 5 passes:
te> that's fine IF config.c fit's into buffers or you boot from disk.
te> else (if boot from floppy) that might become *SLOW*

    There was 3 passes, now 5. Not a big change, especially because on some
passes there will be other disk accesses (drivers, installs, shell). When I
test config.sys working (on floppy), for me this is enoughly fast. Of
course, my config.sys-es are much lesser than 10k (20 buffers are
preallocated before processing config.sys), but I don't think that you will
notice "*SLOW*" even on bigger config.sys.

But what you propose else? 5 passes are _required_.

What I still wonder about this topic -- I remember that I had a CONFIG.SYS size problem with Win95 (when its size grew past some point, DOS 7 did't start) -- aren't device drivers allowed to mangle with drive mappings? I mean there is (was?) a DSWAP.EXE or SWAP.EXE or whatever from stacker that allowed to "compress" the boot drive by swapping C: with the drive letter the compress-on-the-fly drive got. This was before MS came up with the DRVSpace.BIN approach.
I actually believed that CONFIG.SYS is to be kept in memory because of this stuff. Is this handled silently by the buffers?

Bye,

--

Steffen Kaiser