--- Le jeu., 04 avr. 2024 23:45:33 -0400 Paul Dufresne via Freedos-user  a
écrit ----
 > Information given at boot seems to say E: is the INSTALLDISK... but it is
 > really D: ... I don't know why.
Oh, I know... I use to use a .iso file, but this time I use a .img file... so
DESTDISK is C: , INSTALLDISK is D:
and the E: cdrom drive is empty.

Also, I did began the installation like I said, bug change back to using the
kvm command line.
Because kvm is so much faster than qemu-system-i386... but even with kvm...
installation took about
40 mins... which is longer than most Linux distro installations.

I think in older version of QEMU, we would have used -enable-kvm ... but now
there is a kvm
command line that replace qemu-system-i386 or qemu-system-x86_64 ...

So I guess it would make sense to download the bonus disk... and use that as a
virtual DVD.

So let me rewrite the instructions: (I think I am also correcting some errors
in previous email)

QEMU is a program found on Linux distributions, to emulate a computer.
kvm is a special version of qemu, much faster, but need some stuff from the
kernel to work.

Download and extract
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/test/FDT2404-FullUSB.zip
 in FDT2404USB directory.
Download and extract
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/test/FDT2404-BonusCD.zip
 in a temporary directory.
Move T2404BNS.iso to the FDT2404USB

cd FDT2404USB
qemu-img create fdos.img 1000M
DESTDISK=fdos.img
INSTALLDISK=T2404FULL.img
BONUS=T2404BNS.iso

At install time, I present first INSTALLDISK, then DESTDISK:
kvm -cpu 486 -name FreeDOS -machine pc-i440fx-4.2 -m 64 -drive
format=raw,file=$INSTALLDISK -drive format=raw,file=$DESTDISK -audiodev
pa,id=mysnd -device sb16,audiodev=mysnd -device adlib,audiodev=mysnd -machine
pcspk-audiodev=mysnd -vga cirrus -display sdl -net nic,model=pcnet -net user

After installation, I present first DESTDISK containing the installed FreeDOS,
and then the BONUS disk as a DVD (cdrom):
kvm -cpu 486 -name FreeDOS -machine pc-i440fx-4.2 -m 64 -drive
format=raw,file=$DESTDISK -cdrom $BONUS -audiodev pa,id=mysnd -device
sb16,audiodev=mysnd -device adlib,audiodev=mysnd -machine pcspk-audiodev=mysnd
-vga cirrus -display sdl -net nic,model=pcnet -net user

If kvm is not available use qemu-system-i386 instead.
And if qemu-system-i386, use qemu-system-x86_64 instead.
I believe qemu-system-i386 is faster for DOS than qemu-system-x86_64.

You can now use fdimples command to add new programs from the bonus DVD.

I hope this make it more usefull instructions!