[..]

Paul Dufresne wrote:
> I was prefering raw, because I was using:
> https://www.seei.biz/how-to-mount-raw-images-img-images-on-linux/
> to mount raw disk, and exchange data between the host and the emulated
> machine.
>
> But I discovered qemu-nbd... that allows the same with qcow2 image too.
> So I guess I will adopt qcow2.

I use qcow2 because it's a bit more efficient, and a little faster.
(Not that speed matters much here .. my 3-yr old desktop PC is still
*way* more powerful than a 1990s '486 or Pentium PC.)

I use guestfstools to "mount" the virtual disk from Linux. Works
great. It's basically this:

guestmount -a "$img" -m /dev/sda1 "$mnt"

In other words:

mkdir /tmp/freedos
guestmount -a mystuff.qcow2 -m /dev/sda1 /tmp/freedos

..and that will "mount" the first (only) partition in my virtual disk,
and make it accessible at /tmp/freedos.

> Now, as I understand, the size of the file for qcow2, is way less than the
> size specified...
> because allocation is done only when needed... so I would suggest to oversize
> the value...
> maybe 3G?

That's a lot. FreeDOS (like any DOS) is not big. What are you putting
in that virtual disk? My "C:" virtual disk is 500MB, and that's much
larger than I need to install OpenWatcom plus editors and tools. My
"D:" virtual disk is like 200MB.

Jim