If you use dos  alone and purely on your machine, but nevertheless have
some *nix server access you can use rsync client for dos:
http://www.2net.co.uk/rsync.html
If it is the case, than probably this will be the best solution, as
rsync is one of the most widely used tools for backups.

BTW this rsync client is distributed under GPL, so why it's still not in
FreeDOS distribution, or I'm missing something?