Hi Don,

> Is anyone working on a functional GUI for FreeDOS? I currently use Windows
> 3.1 as I do consider it to be a gui and not an operating system and it is
> about 90 percent functional. It would be nice to have a completely open
> source OS though.

Windows is much more than a GUI. There are also 1000s of
programs which need Windows (even Windows 3) to function.

If you would make a new GUI for DOS, it would not allow
you to keep using all those Windows programs.

There are several free open source GUIs for DOS, but you
only get a small number of programs for them. There is a
free open version of GEM for DOS. Some classic programs
for GEM can still be used with that. There also are some
new free programs for GEM...

The other open source GUIs for DOS usually start out as
graphical file managers with a menu to run programs, so
eventually you get a notepad, clock, calculator, agenda
and a few simple games for them. Some may even support
a bit of web browsing or email, but they all do not get
that huge number of programs available as Windows.

On the other hand, there are some free open clones of
Windows itself: ReactOS is a complete operating system
which runs Windows software and Wine is a software for
Linux which lets you run Windows software directly in
Linux :-) The support for DOS software is quite limited
in both, but of course you can use DOSBOX or DOSEMU in
the Windows or Linux versions in ReactOS and pure Linux
and run your DOS software in those special "DOS boxes".

Regards, Eric