Hi Thomas,

> There was, many years ago, a port of X Window from Unix to DOS, known
> as X-Appeal.
>
> One could download a crippled version or pay $199 for the full,
> working (?) version.
>
> I never tried it.

Old versions of SuSE Linux came with some X server for DOS.
However, that only allowed you to display the graphical user
interface screen: The actual graphical apps (the X clients)
had to run on a Linux or Unix server elsewhere, as DOS was
neither multitasking nor had any X client apps ported to it.

The same problem existed for X servers for Windows, while on
BSD Unix based MacOS versions, you could also run versions
of your client software ported to MacOS, as you could guess.

I may have missed some other possibilities, but that was what
my interpretation of X for DOS and Windows possibilities was.

Regards, Eric