On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 4:12 AM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>
>>> 2).
>>> http://youtube-eng.blogspot.nl/2015/01/youtube-now-defaults-to-html5_27.html
>
> Very nice :-)
>
>> I infer that you need a relatively current browser.
>
> Yes, and those video codec libraries are not small at all.
> So even if you would add just enough HTML5 to a DOS browser
> to display youtube, it would add a lot of complexity...

You need more than HTML5.  You also need CSS3 and JavaScript.

>> The biggest use case for Flash has been video, which historically
>> has been presented on the web as SWF objects.
>
> You can also make a fancy GUI for your website in Flash. I
> remember websites with keen designers which would show one
> big box of Flash and if you had no Flash, you basically saw
> nothing of the page. Luckily this fashion has gone away and
> Flash indeed is mostly for video (and animated ads?) today.

I have an assortment of sites bookmarked that make effective use of
Flash, but Flash is an option, and they can be used without it.  (The
sites are art, design, and fashion sites, coded by people who knew
what they were doing.)

I have seen the odd site coded *entirely* in Flash.  Those are
abominations designed by incompetents and paid for by idiots.

> One of the reasons for this is that you can do a lot with
> Javascript today. There are many nice libraries written in
> Javascript that help you to make a website with a nice GUI.

Arguably, too many.  I've lost track of how many there are.  The
problem is that JavaScript is a "batteries *not* included" language,
so one or more libraries are pretty much a necessity to keep from
reinventing the wheel by writing low-level code.

> There are even cross-compilers which compile for example C
> code into Javascript. Probably into a small virtual machine
> written in Javascript plus bytecode for that ;-)

Current browser design has JavaScript compiled to native machine code
for execution instead of being interpreted.  Thge problem is that
sometimes it's faster to just interpret rather than compiling, and the
JS engine must make good choices about which to do. Mozilla got bit by
that in a prior version of the JavaScript engine in Gecko
(JaegerMonkey, I think), which was slower than desired because it was
compiling when it would have been faster to just interpret.

I don't think the C->JavaScript compilers create a virtual machine.
That's what the JS engine in the browser is for.

> So an interesting question is: Which DOS browsers have any
> Javascript support? With CSS? Enough to display animated
> menus or enough to process those Javascript libraries?

Of the top of my head, none, though I haven't looked in a while.
Dillo, available for DOS, had JavaScript on the roadmap, but needed to
do a lot of DOM work before that could happen.

And you would still face the issue of *playing* the video. What would you use?

> Also, I remember somebody in BTTR mentioning a tool which
> analyzes youtube HTML to find the direct URL of the video
> to be played. That sounds like a reasonable way to watch
> youtube video in DOS on occasion. Details? Instructions?

And what do you play it with?

I believe there's a Greasemonkey UserScript to get the underlying URL..

On the old notebook FreeDOS is on, I don't *try* to watch YouTube, in
DOS, Linux, or Windows.  Audio is okay, but video is a sequence of
still photos, not smooth video.

> I remember that when I use too many script, ad and gimmick
> blockers on Linux, using a download helper plugin to find
> the video URL and watching that in VLC is sometimes faster
> than having to unblock bells & whistles in my browser ;-)

In Linux, I do the dame thing as I do in Windows.  I use Firefox as my
browser.  NoScript is installed to block scripting unless the site is
in a user maintained whitelist.  Ad blocking gets handled in CSS.  I
install Stylish, which lets me run arbitrary CSS based on what I'm
connecting to.  One of the bits of arbitrary CSS is a package called
Ad Blocking Filterset P.  Filterset P defines a long list of ad
servers, and simply doesn't render content fetched from them.  It
doesn't do as thorough a job as something like AdBlock Plus, but
that's fine.  I don't want to kill all ads.  I just want to clean up
ad heavy sites so they're readable.

I'm a big fan of VLC.  I run it under Windows and Linus as the default
media player, and have a beta version on Android as well.

> Regards, Eric
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519