On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 5:59 PM, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/16/2014 2:50 PM, Louis Santillan wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hardware is steadily smaller, faster, and cheaper.  Have fun finding a
>>> new x86 machine these days that *isn't* 64 bit.  ARM is still largely
>>> 32 bit, but that's changing too, and we're likely to see 64 bit ARM in
>>> server installations for power savings.

>> There are still new 32-bit x86 parts being manufactured, notably by
>> Intel for IoT in their Intel Edison/Quark/Galileo platform(s)
>> [0][1][2] and DM&P's 86duino platform [3].  The 86duino even boots
>> FreeDOS.

> Even if all Intel based PCs are equipped with 64bit capable CPUs, they
> will just as happy run 32bit or even 16bit code just fine.

Assuming OS support is there.  The instruction set is the same.
Various system calls may not be.  If you want to run DOS apps on a 64
bit Windows machine, you need a VM or emulator.  They won't run
"native".

> And there are as mentioned above now with the Intel Quark X1000
> processor again 32bit, single core/thread CPUs coming out for which a
> 16bit FreeDOS can be a very viable option for an OS to run on...
>
> DOS is not dead but people need to treat DOS as DOS, not as a second
> coming of Linux...

The fundamental issue for DOS is exactly what you *do* with it, and
*why* you might use DOS in preference to something else like Linux.
The fact that something  *can* run DOS doesn't necessarily mean it
*should*.

> Ralf
______
Dennis