On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Louis Santillan <lpsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 2:32 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And why *should* they target legacy machines?  Exactly how long is
>> something supposed to be supported?
>>
>> Hardware is steadily smaller, faster, and cheaper.  Have fun finding a
>> new x86 machine these days that *isn't* 64 bit.  ARM is still largely
>> 32 bit, but that's changing too, and we're likely to see 64 bit ARM in
>> server installations for power savings.
>
> There are still new 32-bit x86 parts being manufactured, notably by
> Intel for IoT in their Intel Edison/Quark/Galileo platform(s)
> [0][1][2] and DM&P's 86duino platform [3].  The 86duino even boots
> FreeDOS.

Yes, there are plenty of 32 bit CPUs still being made, but
increasingly they are for embedded applications. (For that matter,
tehre are oodles of 8 bit and 16 bit parts still made for the same
reasons.)

I was talking about what you see if you go to purchase a
desktop/laptop/netbook/what have you.

IoT kit is not stuff end users will run to access the Internet and
browse websites.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519