Excerpt from Eric Auer:

> High Definition Audio controllers are currently not supported.

> By the way:

> >     I think it works like these stupid win printers; it waits for
> >     windows to start it up. After all dos is dead isn't it - ha.
> >     I will have to search for this dossound. It might be the answer.

> That is not the only problem. Winmodems and Win GDI printers etc.
> often do not support "normal" command languages. Instead, there
> is only a proprietary interface to some low level device. In the
> Winmodem case, this is often a simple "soundcard". All the smart
> things to turn data into tones and back have to be done by some
> Windows (or Linux) driver, so just starting Windows is not enough
> to "activate" the modem for DOS. For printers, your mileage may
> vary - they may at least support plain text but that might indeed
> depend on some Windows driver "activating" the printer at boot.

What I have is Intel Hogh Definition Audio: works with FreeBSD and NetBSD
current versions, but I haven't tried with FreeDOS.

I've been unable to get my printer, HP LaserJet Professional 1212nf MFP working.

Now I think it might be nonstandard implementation of PostScript or whatever
command language.

Why would HP have hplip when other printer manufacturers have no such thing?

But can a laser or inkjet printer with standard interface work in FreeDOS?

Considering that I can't boot FreeDOS with EMM386 or anything of that kind, I'm
very reluctant to try anything too complicated with FreeDOS: leave that to
FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux or Haiku.

Tom