I have a Compaq Armada (Laptop) with a ESS1869 - I tried every SB/ESS
driver I could find then by chance I loaded DOSSOUND and it worked. For my
modern desktops with the oldest PCI cards (mostly ESS or Yamaha) I can only
get sound through the internal speaker, but MPXPLAY & QView work through
the lineout - I think any successful configuration will be a compromise.