It looks like mri_convert cannot find information about the orientation
of the volume. The analyze format does not have fields in the header for
this information, but SPM usually adds a .mat file. It does not look
like fs_sub.img has a fs_sub.mat, so mri_convert is guessing
(incorrectly) what the direction cosines are.

You can fix this in multiple ways:

(1) get the proper .mat file
(2) get a new copy of mri_convert from
ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/transfer/outgoing/flat/FreeSurfer, and
re-run mri_convert specifying the direction cosines on the command-line
using the --in_X_direction, where X is i, j, or k corresponding to col,
row, and slice

doug

--
Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.