Hi Tom,

we write out an ?h.area file that contains the area of every vertex in
the tessellation (the average area of all triangles it is a member of). You
should be able to convert it to ascii using mris_convert in the usual way.

Also, note that the vertex index is invariant across the different surface
representations, including flattened, so you can always relate data across
them. As far as getting used to looking at the flatmaps, it takes a little
bit of time, but it's not that bad. Probably the best thing to do is run
two copies of tksurfer, one with the inflated and one with the flattened
surfaces, and use send and goto point to see how they are related.

cheers,
Bruce