you should convert the patch to ascii using mris_convert -p and get the
vertex #s from the ascii file. Also, I think you must have an old version
of mris_convert (as every other area is 0, which it certainly shouldn't
be). Try taking a new one from
surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu:/space/outgoing/fsdev.

cheers,
Bruce