Hi Bruce, et al,

The Markov random field approach with FSL FAST is intensive (~ 2000 sec on
Athlon 1700, 1Gb PC2700 on VIA KT333A) and the results "appear" to be good.
Of course, it could be better to measure the quantity on the scanner.  Would
this approach require access and modification of the kspace images before
reconstruction?  Naturally we could all rest easily if the scanner
engineering and signal processing took care of the problem ;-)  We don't
have a research scanner and any access to any of that :-(  It would be nice
to evaluate this latter "physical" solution with that from FAST.

Thanks for clarifying the mri_normalize process.  It will be interesting,
although overkill, to see what happens when FreeSurfer is fed one of the
volumes after RF correction with FAST.  In particular, whether it will
improve the segmentation any.  Another interesting experiment might be to
segment the WM with freesurfer and use that volume as a prior input to FAST.
Again, overkill, but anything that could improve the automation of the first
segmentation stage might decrease the latter manual editing.  The cost is
the extra processing overheads.

Yes, there is some other work to be done on just the RF bias corrected
volume.

Cheers, Darren