Hi Darren,

I think you'll find that this option refers to the fact that the
gradients in many of the latest generation MRI systems from several
manufacturers are not exactly linear, particularly in z. Obviously, this
has implications for the imaging experiments performed on them,
particularly if you don't use the centre of the magnet! The MGH
researchers very nicely submitted an abstract to HBM2001 at Brighton
documenting these non-linearities in their GE and Siemens systems. See:

Wald, L., Schmitt, F., Dale, A. (2001). Systematic spatial distortion
due to gradient non-linearities. Neuroimage, 13(6), S50.

I would also be interested to hear what the unwarping procedure entails?

regards,

Greig

--
Dr Greig de Zubicaray