> 1 - If you/we were to start an open source project, what would it be?

Well, from our side of the world, obviously a killer simulation
environment.

This would include a "pipe" or "port" interoperability amongst many
useful components including the agent modeler, landscape/gis agent
environment, visualization, graphing/plotting, analysis and
statistics, inference engine, and more.  And to cap it off, a visual
composition editor letting you hook all this together with drag 'n
drop and form based agent behavior.  It would be multi-lingual where
possible: java for multi-platform and performance, python and other
agile languages for scripting.

The pipe/port interoperability should have specific goals like being
able to run on top of Google Earth, for example.

> 2 - What open source project would you like to see happen?

EZ Java: a preprocessor/IDE which makes Java less programmer
antagonistic .. to remove the "syntactic salt as Steve sez.  It would
simply preprocess a python/ruby-like front end, but simply be a
syntax converter .. not another scripting language for the JVM such
as JRuby, Jython, Groovy etc.  It would be independent of the
particular version of Java .. thus inherit the improvements within
Java.  But like Processing, it would remove the absurdities of Java.
Examples:
   - First class functions, without the need for a class for "main()"
   - Less redundant type declarations: String s = new String() is a
little noisy.
   - Simple syntax for Functors .. which make easy on-the-fly
"closures".
   - First class citizens for maps, arrays and strings with very
flexible literals.  One obvious string improvement, for example, are
multi-line strings, strings with substitutions, and most of all,
"raw" strings for regex use.

This could easily be done with ANTLR, I think.  Integrating it into
Eclipse and other programming editors and IDEs would be important.

     -- Owen

Owen Densmore   http://backspaces.net