Prof David West wrote:
> Objects should be able to interact with bare hardware and not rely on OS
> or other environments - like the Smalltalk image.

With the resurgence of virtualized instruction sets, e.g. Java and .NET,
and good hardware/software support via VMware, Parallels, KVM, and Xen,
perhaps we can hope to see more high performance implementations of OOP
as it was meant to be..  The Right Thing running fast bare on the
hardware (almost).   Just bought 16 GB of RAM for less than $2k.

On a related topic, check out VMware Workstation 6 which now has trace
and replay.   No more guessing how to reproduce conditions that led to a
model (or whatever) getting in to a weird state.   Just back up!