The issue is not so much on programming language. In theory any
universal language is sufficient. In practice, object orientedness
helps a lot. Also needed are a range of plugin tools and libraries,
such as graph visualisers, statistics accumulators and the like, which
is where the frameworks come into play. And a necessary precursor for
these to work is some kind of runtime reflection so that agent
(object) structure can be inferred by the tool.

At this stage, there are only a limited number of environments
available, corresponding to an assortment of Java environments, a few
logo environments, and one each of Objective C, C++ and Smalltalk environments.

I would suspect that you would end up having to replicate a lot of
what is done in Swam, Repast or EcoLab by choosing another language
such as PHP, but if that is your bent, then there's nothing stopping
you.

Cheers

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 12:33:38AM -0500, Alfredo Covaleda V wrote:
> Hello
>
> Months ago you had a discussion respect ABMs-OOP and you referred to
> some suitable languages.  I wonder how appropriate are python and PHP5
> to make simulations. ¿Are comparable C++, smalltalk, ruby, python and PHP5 ?
>
> Although I've never seen a simulator written in php5 it seems to me that
> it's an interesting and  promising tool for simulations. ¿Are php5 OOP
> capabilities good enough for ABMs?,  ¿ Am I in risk of being  example of
> an everlasting amateur programmer death while trying ABMs with PHP5?
>
> Regards
>
> Alfredo

Mathematics