Orlando,

But aren't you and Jochen talking about insight here as if it were just some
diffusion process of echoes of other things, rather than a synthetic event,
and so leaving the core question of what the heck is making the echoes
around here unaddressed?  Ann's comment that even simple things display the
use of real genius sometimes seems more like the kind of relevant question
about things not immediately obvious that would lead to understanding why
insight changes the world so completely we are left to see it as having been
inevitable.  After important new insights develop it sort of erases the
world without them.

I made the radical leap to seeing that systems don't follow rules but make
them when observing that every convective air current develops as a uniquely
individual cell, each burrowing another hole to provide an inventive
shortcut for their gradients.  There's nothing present but a uniform
compressible fluid and some diffuse heat and presto, a profusion of unique
individual forms.  That the 'new field' of studying how individual events of
all forms develop, starting from that observation, was and remains largely
"wide open" is a matter of some historical interest, maybe, but it seems to
me that the simple kind of observation I started from could have been among
the earliest discoveries of science and not delayed.  That nature does
everything individually and things develop where they occur, is actually
kind of obvious, though still a struggle to think about because we're not
trained to.

It's quite readily observable in the smoke curls rising above a campfire,
for example, that each 'breakout' curl develops on its own, and around a
campfire is where people have been gathering to sit and think in an open way
about the universe for many thousands of years.   If our minds are just some
kind of photo plate waiting to be stamped by the swirling world around us,
why wouldn't the principle that nature develops everything individually
where it occurs have gotten stamped in our minds somewhat sooner?

I'd say discovery is a mix of things, like cultural developments coming to a
head, schools of thought running into dead ends, things 'hidden in sight'
and creative invention.   At the time I was just bumming around wondering,
along with everyone else at the time, what the limits of growth were anyway,
and just happened to try to make sense a great profusion of simple forms
that demonstrated it over and over.

Phil